Total time: 30 mins
- 2 pounds of organic chicken & apple sausages
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red pepper
- 1 full garlic
- 1 fresh ripe pear
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup of cherry peppers
- ½ red onion
Homemade tangy ketchup:
Total time: 10 mins
- 2 cups of crushed tomatoes
- 2 chopped green peppers
- ¼ onion
- 2 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 8 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp organic brown sugar (add more to your liking)
- If you have a charcoal grill and chimney starter, remove the top grate of your grill for food and place your chimney inside the grill.
- Fill your chimney with hardwood charcoal all the way to the top.
- Slide a piece of paper beneath the chimney and light the paper using a match or small lighter through the hole at the bottom.
- Wait till charcoal is hot and ready. You’ll know it’s ready when the charcoal starts showing shades of grey.
- Pour your charcoal into the grill and adjust your grill openings to rise into a medium heat of about 250-300 F.
- With a small, sharp knife, slice the sausage about 2/3 of the way. This is enough to open the sausages so they cook through evenly.
- Lightly brush olive oil on the sausages and place them on the grill.
- Grill until you see the sausages get those picture-perfect grill marks, but do not overcook them (3-4 mins per side).
- Place bell peppers and zucchini on a cutting board and chop them into pieces large enough to stay on the grill and not fall through the grate.
- Place chopped bell peppers and zucchini in a bowl with the cherry peppers.
- Season the vegetables with a hint of olive oil and add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Cut the pear in half.
- Place the vegetables with the half-cut pair on the grill.
- Grill till tender with visible char marks. You can tell it’s tender once it feels easy to break with little force.
- While the sausages and vegetables are cooking, get started on the sauce.
- Add all the sauce ingredients into a blender.
- Turn blender on (medium speed) until sauce is at a smooth texture.
- Place sauce into a cast iron pot (or saucepan) and cook till the sauce slightly boils.
- Remove the sauce from the pot and pour it into a bowl that’s easy to dip food into.
- Once ready, plate the sausages with a side cup of your fresh tangy sauce to dunk the sausages in.